Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Josephine's Scribe

R.A.C.E Marathon


Questions:


1. How did Mark know that the fourth water station was the halfway point?
2. Did both Mark and Rachel run farther this year than they ran last year?
3. How many miles did each of them run this year?
4. How can you assure the community that your conclusions are correct?

I am going to talk about how Israelie (my partner) and I got the answers for the R.A.C.E Marathon.

1. How did Mark know that the fourth water station was the halfway point?



My Answer: Mark knew that the 4th water station was the halfway point because... There were 8 water stations in total so half of 8 is 4.



We used a number line to help us with this question. Since Mark knows that there were 8 water stations in total throughout the race, you can divide 8 by 2 and it would equal 4.

2. Did both Mark and Rachel run farther this year than they ran last year?

My answer: Yes, they both ran farther this year than they did last year. Rachel ran 1/12 more than she did last year. Mark ran 1/8 more than he did last year.



We used a double number line for this question. I used a double number line for this question because I thought it would be easier for me to answer the question. On the number line I showed how much Mark and Rachel ran the year before, and this year.












3. How many miles did each of them run this year?



My answer:
Rachel - 7/12 = 15.12
Mark: - 5/8 = 16.25
Rachel ran 15.12 miles this year and Mark ran 16.25 miles this year.

We used a ratio table to find out the answer of this question. Our strategy was to find out how many miles the unit fractions(1/8 & 1/12) were then multiply it by how many 12th's and 8th's there were.





4. How can you assure the community that your conclusions are correct?


My Answer: I can prove that my answers were correct because I drew a picture of how much Mark and Rachel ran last year and, how much they ran this year.

I used pictures to prove my answer. First I drew How much Mark and Rachel ran last year then I drew another picture which shows how much they ran this year. And as you can see in the second drawing in both rectangles there is one more piece than in the rectangles in the first drawing.















2 comments:

IsRaeLie_817 said...

Good job Josephine!!it's really organized:))i like how you used ratio table to figure out the answer for question 3...

Mr. H said...

I only have one thing to say. AWESOME. Great job.

Harbeck